Tuesday, September 9, 2008

things that go bump

What I like about bike commuting:
(a) It's good exercise
(b) It (usually) reduces stress
(c) It's good for the planet

What I don't like about bike commuting:
(a) Sometimes people have trouble doing this:


Yep, today I had a bit of an altercation with a car -- The driver was not paying attention and came zipping out of an alley and (almost) into my path. I was able to brake and only did a minor bump into the side of their car. All's well that ends well as they say... but I think I will try to figure out a slightly different route to work to avoid alley areas. Gonna get these guys to help me:

14 comments:

Processing Counselor said...

Oh NO! Are you OK?

Unknown said...

That's so scary!!

Diane M. Roth said...

oh, I've been wanting to bike, but I'm afraid of this too!!!

I hope you're ok.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I hope you feel ok with no after-effects this morning.

dust bunny said...

YIKES!! hope this doesn't mean a visit to the crack-o-practer!!!

Barbara B. said...

My neck was a little tweaked last night, but feeling better this morning. :)

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

What a close call...glad you were able to brake and save a severe wreck. "stupid" car drivers

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

do they make a bike helmet that will fit under your Fedora?

Jennifer said...

Yikes! This is worrisome.
Feel better soon.

Jan said...

So glad you are all right! Take care.

Terri said...

I had something similar happpen to me once. I had returned from a long bike trip, about 400 miles. A few days later I was riding my bike in CHicago and was stopped at the entrance to a post office where semi's pull in. One semi pulled in and cut too close to where I was straddling my bike at the edge of the sidewalk. I tried to back up but my front tire was caught under the wheel of the semi. I screamed. Somehow the drive stopped and came around - he said, he did not hear me but "thought something was wrong"...saved my life with that stop. Really.

Glad you are well and safe....really glad!

Lori said...

SO glad you are all right!!

You are an exemplary citizen for riding your bike!

Rev SS said...

Yikes! So glad you hit car instead of car hitting you! Hope there's no residual effects, and glad you're adjusting route to avoid this happening again.

Barbara B. said...

mompriest, wow! yours was really scary!!!

thanks everybody for your good thoughts :)