Saturday, December 15, 2007

uncle maynard...

After many years of farming in South Dakota, my uncle and aunt retired to the Black Hills. My uncle is not one to sit around, so it didn't take long for him to discover the local food pantry and start volunteering there. He's been a fixture at the food pantry for a number of years already. After having grown the food (especially wheat and corn) for so long, I'm sure it seemed a natural fit to start distributing it.

My aunt recently sent a newspaper clipping from their local paper featuring a story on the food pantry and picture of my uncle. (That's the picture from the paper on the left.) The story was about the cupboards getting bare. In all the hustle and bustle of the Christmas season, people were forgetting about the food pantry. But just since the story ran, donations have been pouring in.

I love that my uncle is still going strong at age 81, and proud of the work he's doing.

8 comments:

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

how very cool of your uncle. my mom volunteers once a week at my home church's food pantry in big city... it's amazing what needs are there! hip hip hooray for uncle maynard!

Lori said...

Uncle Maynard rocks!

marie said...

yep...your uncle Maynard is one of the good ones.

RevDrKate said...

Very cool! Thanks for sharing him.

Jan said...

What a great guy! And how lucky he's still going strong. Whenever I see people like this, I wish my parents had lived to be past 80, but they didn't.

Diane M. Roth said...

great story!

Rev SS said...

Here's to Uncle Maynard, and all the wonderful, dedicated people working in our food banks!

Magdalene6127 said...

Barbara, what a great guy he is! Thanks for sharing his story. It is very inspiring.