Sunday, November 11, 2007

this is kind of cool...


I just read where Giovanni Maria Pala, an Italian musician, claims to have undercovered a "soundtrack" in Leonardo Da Vinci's "Last Supper". Pala placed the five lines of a musical staff across the famous painting and had the loaves of bread and hands of Jesus and the Apostles represent musical notes. The result, when the notes are read right to left, sounds like a requiem. Full story here. Of course I don't know if this is true or not, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility. Da Vinci was certainly one sharp cookie.

Hmmm... perhaps we should search other famous paintings for clues of hidden soundtracks. Maybe, for example, we could find out what Whistler's mother was whistling. (Sorry, couldn't help myself.)

7 comments:

Lori said...

Whistler's Mother...hee hee hee. That's a good one.

Jan said...

I love your comment about Whistler's Mother! Too cute.

Jennifer said...

Wow....
it's like Abbey Road in the form of visual art. Wow.

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

you're too punny!

Diane M. Roth said...

cute! ... and fascinating. would be interesting to listen to Leonardo's music.

Terri said...

Hee hee...I wonder what we'd find in a painting from the pointillism era, (Georges Seurat)....

or would this theory only hold true for classical paintings...

Barbara B. said...

I'm sure we can make it work for ANY art period! :)