Wednesday, April 4, 2007

finding old friends...


Hubby and I dropped off #2 Offspring for a college visitation today, so we had a little free time while he was checking out the music and history departments. There was a used record store not far from campus, and we wandered in. As I was flipping through the dusty old LP's, I ran into some old, forgotten friends. Talk about blasts from the past! There were lots of albums I hadn't seen (or thought about) in years. Just to name two somewhat obscure ones from '72: Procol Harum Live with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra (nice rock band/orchestra collaboration) and Climax featuring Sonny Geraci (not surprisingly a one hit wonder with "Precious and Few"). Wonder where ol' Sonny is now...

The drawback of vinyl is its "scratchability" (the sound of which drives me bonkers), but I do miss the larger size (12X12!) of the LP jackets. I think we gained some sound but lost some art with the shift from LP's to CD's. Ah, but that trade-off thing is part of life, isn't it?!

No comments: