Sunday, April 29, 2007

my sunday morning


This morning my activities included leisurely reading the Sunday paper while enjoying a cup of coffee, checking my e-mail and a few blogs, making pumpkin juice for Offspring #2's Harry Potter party (this senior class is way cool), and doing some work type stuff around the house. Noticeably absent was church attendance.

As I've mentioned in earlier posts, I'd like a church that is relevant, authentic, and inclusive. I want one with progressive theology and one which embraces mystery and creativity. There doesn't seem to be a church in town that fits my bill. I think really good candidates would be here or here, but I'd have to board a jet weekly, and then my carbon footprint would be waaaay too big.

Even though I'm not expecting a "perfect" church (since that doesn't exist), perhaps I am being too picky. Perhaps I'm subconsciously expecting to be so enamored with a church that (to borrow from the abominable snowman on Bugs Bunny) I want to "hug it and squeeze it and name it George". Perhaps. But for now, I'm enjoying my Sunday mornings.

9 comments:

Theresa Coleman said...

Personally, I'd love to go to a church named George.

Welcome to the ring!

Unknown said...

Any UCC churches in your neck of the woods? Some of them, some places, have those qualities you seek (and I seek them, too!).

Trinity Lutheran Children's & Family Ministry said...

Although I have a passion for the rural church and for trying to preach the Gospel and hope in an area that has seen much hardship and loss, one of my favorite worship experiences is found in the Twin Cities at Spirit Garage (www.spiritgarage.org). Are you close at all to Seattle? There are some wonderful places to worship there.

Thanks for checking out my blog. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Check back when you can for a dose of NoDak rural life. Oh, and welcome to the ring.

"Dakota is everywhere, at least in diaspora." --Kathleen Norris

Pax et lux!

Barbara B. said...

Songbird,
Thanks, nice idea! We were actually members of a UCC church (which we really liked) when we lived in Colorado -- but there isn't one in our community now. We would rather not "commute" out of town to church. Wonder if UCC is doing many new church plants.

Barbara B. said...

Prairie Pastor,
We're about 130 miles from Seattle, so it's a ways...
I LOVE the Kathleen Norris quote! :)

Rev SS said...

I like the idea of having you commute to Seattle -:) Welcome to the ring, friend.

will smama said...

Welcome to revgals - LOVED your Sunday and may pop over again just to live vicariously through it!

Reverend Dona Quixote said...

Welcome to RGBP. I'd love to move my churches towards being congregations like you describe ... but that would be a really long commute for you too.

Sally said...

welcome to revgals- hmmm the inclusive church search.... many are on that quest....