Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Aaargh! Clutter!


Whoa, can I ever relate to this picture! (And I love the wink given to Munch's The Scream!) As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have been working to de-junk our house and reclaim it from an inordinate amount of clutter.

According to The Free Online Dictionary, clutter is:
1. a confused multitude of things
2. unwanted echoes that interfere with the observation of signals on a radar screen

Of course, the "confused multitude of things" perfectly describes many of my rooms (and especially the drawers and closets), but I also like the second definition because of the word "interfere". Clutter interferes. It interferes with our ability to focus on what's important.

So, getting rid of clutter (or de-junking) for me is not so much about cleaning as it is about decreasing the interference. Simplicity as spiritual discipline. Yep, I'm working on that one.

2 comments:

Rodger Sellers said...

I applaud you Barb. (And confess that you really DON'T want to see the basement rooms in our home! Talk about clutter! (Storage for us, for the church, for my sideline Ebay hobby, and the wood shop I share with my dad next door! Talk about a complete, total, clutter disaster!)

RPS

Barb Berger said...

Nice to know I have "company" in the clutter club! :)