Sunday, January 18, 2009

MLK, Jr. Day

Tomorrow, of course, is the Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service when many Americans will honor Dr. King by doing volunteer work. According to the official website, "More than 11,400 service projects are taking place across the country, more than double last year. Americans will make it a 'day on, not a day off' by delivering meals, refurbishing schools, reading to children, signing up mentors, and much, much more."

I think that's great -- as opposed to, say, Columbus Day where the main thing that seems to be going on is that you can't get your mail. I wish I could say that I was going to be part of a cool service project tomorrow, but I have to go to work. I'll be doing a little of this:



and a little of this:



(However, I do have clothing donations I plan to drop off at Goodwill tomorrow after work. Does that count a teensy bit?)

-----------------------------------------------------
found the cartoons that made you groan via google images

5 comments:

Lori said...

Ahem. Well I'm just sitting through Mall Cop with two youngsters. I don't think that counts.

I promise to make up for it.

Processing Counselor said...

I think going to work counts, girl!

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

pink eye... hee hee i'm celebrating by taking down my christmas tree (finally)

Terri said...

Like Hot Cup I took down Christmas Decorations today, and walked my dogs....maybe next I can get free enough and organized enough to DO something for others on this day - it is a very good idea...

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

This is the first year I'd heard that it was supposed to be a service day. I'm not quite sure what rock I've been living under.