Wednesday, July 1, 2009

camping 1909 style

This postcard (sent May 26, 1909) is from Leech Lake, Walker Minnesota. (Hmmm... Leech Lake doesn't necessarily sound like a body of water in which you would want to swim.) Anyway, I love the huge camping stove. Bet you wouldn't go hungry if you camped with this guy.



Here's the back of the card:



Is Kate and Rily back from Texas yet? When will you be up here? Lakes are all open and the fishing is fine. Love to all, Ethel

Perhaps Ethel should spend less time fishing and more time on grammar lessons. (That was kind of a cheap shot. I'm snarky today.)

7 comments:

realsarah said...

LOL, the grammar IS atrocious! :)

Jennifer said...

Then I'm snarky, too, 'cause I had the same thought!

Lori said...

That is a first class camp site.

You guys would feel just awful to learn that Ethel had to teach herself to read, has a limp and a hairlip!!!

There, there Ethel, they're really nice girls after you get to know them.......

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

Camping...well not so much my 'cup of tea' but I know many people really enjoy it. Now Ethel, on the other hand....

Diane M. Roth said...

I love love love what you are doing with these postcards!

by the way, did you know that Robert Olen Butler wrote a whole book of short stories using old post cards as inspiration?

just wondered.

Rev SS said...

ohh Diane ... good "seed" ...

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I had the same thought.