Friday, September 4, 2009
Friday Five: Recharging
Sally's laptop battery recently died, which got her thinking about energy and recharging batteries. This Friday Five asks: "what/ who gives you energy?"
1. Is there a person who encourages and uplifts you, whose company you seek when you are feeling low?
When I'm feeling low, I usually like to wallow alone in my crankiness for a bit. When I'm out of that little phase, I do have a great family and friends (you know who you are!) who are supportive and encouraging. Marble the Cat is also a good companion. He understands cranky.
2. How about a piece of music that either invigorates or relaxes you?
Wow... it's hard to single out one piece of music or even one artist! (Although if forced on the artist my knee-jerk response would be Carole King.) I really like music from the 1965-1975 time frame; jazz is great; so is classical.
3. Which book of the Bible do you most readily turn to for refreshment and encouragement? Is there a particular story that brings you hope?
Hmm...I could pick something, but to be really honest I'd have to presently answer "none" and "nope". I do love reading though -- and reading in general is a source of refreshment for me.
4. A bracing walk or a cosy fireside?
A bracing walk -- i.e. a hike! I love to "play outside" (which is important when a good hunk of your workday is spent in a window-less exam room). I have recently been dropping not-so-subtle hints to my family that I want a canoe. I think the Empty Nest Hiking Club should add a new division: The Empty Nest Canoe Club. That would be a great way to recharge the ol' battery!
See--this one is even a red Christmas color!
5. Are you feeling refreshed and restored at the moment or in need of recharging, write a prayer or a prayer request to finish this weeks Friday Five....
We have just recently returned from vacation in Colorado (plus both Offspring #1&2 are still home), so I'm feeling happy, refreshed, and restored.