For this Friday Five, Jan asks us to "share five things about the Christmas traditions in your family."
Since Christina and David are home (yay!), I snagged Christina to help with this while David was practicing his trumpet.
Traditions we always do:
* Some time during the season we go to the Portland Zoo to take in Zoolights.
* There are a few "must watch" Christmas movies -- e.g. PeeWee's Christmas Special, The Snowman, Muppets Christmas Carol, and Rankin-Bass specials.
* Christmas tree ornaments are put on the tree while David selects/plays the music.
* On Christmas Eve, we go to a church service, then go to Grandma's for a huge holiday food spread before opening presents.
*Oh yes, and who can forget... the cats always get catnip from Santa on Christmas morning.
Traditions we always cook or eat:
* Christmas cookies
* Hickory Farms cheese spread, crackers, and meat
* Ham or turkey on Christmas day
Traditions we would like to start:
This year we bought a Germans from Russia board game (to help celebrate our ethnicity!) which we just played this evening. This has a pretty good shot at becoming an annual tradition.
Traditions we would like to discard:
* Someone always seems to get a Christmas cold. Let's ditch this tradition.
* Also, we almost always have a 'green' Christmas here in the Pacific NW -- We'd rather have a white one.
Anything about our family Christmases:
We always stay home, and have a small, but nice holiday.