Sunday, December 20, 2009

holiday happenings



On Friday we went to Portland to do a little shopping (key word: little), dinner at Jake's (key word: yum), and a visit to The Grotto, a Catholic shrine and botanical garden (key word: pretty). (BTW, the picture above was taken on our way back to a parking garage in downtown Portland.) The Grotto has had a Festival of Lights for many years, but this was the first year we actually got around to going to it. In addition to the Christmas lights, they have music performances, a petting zoo, and a puppet show. (Puppet show, not so good.) Anyway, it would have been perfect with a little dusting of the white stuff, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen. (And I shouldn't complain due to the really nasty weather other parts of the country are experiencing.)

I did just finish reading about snow though -- in the book Christmas on Mill Street. Part of why I liked the book was that it is set during the winter of 1962, when the main character was nine years old. (I was six then). I'm usually up for a little nostalgia this time of year. Anywhoo, it's a warm 'n cozy, feel-good Christmas story which I would recommend if you're into that genre.

7 comments:

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

Sounds like a wonderful outing. As always...I love your pictures.

Terri said...

Sounds like a nice family outting....

Rev SS said...

Great picture!

Diane M. Roth said...

yes I love your pictures!

dust bunny said...

The Grotto looks like an excellent new tradition. Very nice pic!

Lori said...

What an excellent picture! You guys look good in any city, I must say.

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

beatuimous photo! if you'd like some of the white stuff we'd be more than happy to share a few inches... 3 or 4... we could even spare half a foot!