Sunday, December 20, 2009

holiday happenings



On Friday we went to Portland to do a little shopping (key word: little), dinner at Jake's (key word: yum), and a visit to The Grotto, a Catholic shrine and botanical garden (key word: pretty). (BTW, the picture above was taken on our way back to a parking garage in downtown Portland.) The Grotto has had a Festival of Lights for many years, but this was the first year we actually got around to going to it. In addition to the Christmas lights, they have music performances, a petting zoo, and a puppet show. (Puppet show, not so good.) Anyway, it would have been perfect with a little dusting of the white stuff, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen. (And I shouldn't complain due to the really nasty weather other parts of the country are experiencing.)

I did just finish reading about snow though -- in the book Christmas on Mill Street. Part of why I liked the book was that it is set during the winter of 1962, when the main character was nine years old. (I was six then). I'm usually up for a little nostalgia this time of year. Anywhoo, it's a warm 'n cozy, feel-good Christmas story which I would recommend if you're into that genre.

7 comments:

Purple said...

Sounds like a wonderful outing. As always...I love your pictures.

Mompriest said...

Sounds like a nice family outting....

Rev SS said...

Great picture!

Diane said...

yes I love your pictures!

dust bunny said...

The Grotto looks like an excellent new tradition. Very nice pic!

Presbyterian Gal said...

What an excellent picture! You guys look good in any city, I must say.

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

beatuimous photo! if you'd like some of the white stuff we'd be more than happy to share a few inches... 3 or 4... we could even spare half a foot!