Friday, July 4, 2008
Friday Five: Fireworks Edition
This week the F5 is presented by Sally (a Brit!)...
1. Barbeque's or picnics (or are they essentially the same thing?)
Location, location, location. Although the food can be exactly the same, a BBQ is in the backyard and a picnic is somewhere else! (Speaking of picnics and food, my grandma made the best potato salad in the world, the perfection of which has never been duplicated.)
2. The park/ the lake/ the beach or staying at home simply being?
Here in Longview the big yearly event is the "Go 4th" celebration down at the lake which includes a big flea market and impressive fireworks display. It is also verrrrry interesting to people watch at this time. (Read whatever you like between the lines.)
3. Fireworks- love 'em or hate 'em?
I love laying/lying (never could figure out that verb) on a blanket down at the lake watching the professional fireworks display. I also like watching some of the nicer (i.e. bigger) home fireworks. However, I do not like firecrackers. (I have seen too many nasty eye injuries from those.)
4. Parades- have you ever taken part- share a memory...
I've never taken part in a 4th of July parade that I can recall. (And, sad to say, the 4th of July parade here in town is pretty lame. Mostly old cars putt-putting along.)
5. Time for a musical interlude- if you could sum up holidays in a piece of music what would it be?
The only song I can think of is "Holiday Road" (from National Lampoon's Vacation). It says "summer!" to me. Here's the original theatrical trailer: