Saturday, July 7, 2007

bluesy saturday


They call it blues, but it makes you feel good. Since I have a penchant for paradox, it's no wonder I like that genre of music!

Hubby, Offspring #2, friend of Offspring #2, and I went to Portland today to the Waterfront Blues Festival -- which they bill as the "biggest blues festival west of the Mississippi". It runs for 5 days, and they've got 5 stages (including one on a small cruise boat) and lots of great performers.

It's also the biggest fundraiser of the year for Oregon Food Bank. (Admission was $8 and two cans of food.) So it was really one of those classic win-win situations: good music and a good cause. (And, they make a darn fine rootbeer float.)

Picture above is a very relaxed Offspring #2 enjoying the day.

18 comments:

Diane M. Roth said...

I love the blues too! My husband is reading a book about the blues... not as good as singin' 'em though.

Jan said...

It's nice to think of you and your family being in Portland. Love the picture.

Barbara B. said...

thanks for stopping by, diane and jan!

Lori said...

Last Thursday we went to a beautiful local garden that had a jazz singer to listen to while picnicking on the main lawn. So nice just to lay on grass and listen to tunes.

Can't beat a good cause and a good rootbeer float.

marie said...

That's my idea of relaxin'....snoozin' to the tunes. :)

Barbara B. said...

PG, the picnic while listening to jazz sounds great!
marie, it was deeeep relaxation, not snoozin'! :)

marie said...

sorry, but in my book, "deeeep relaxation" = snoozin'! :)

Diane M. Roth said...

oh, like when my dad used to fall asleep with the Sunday paper, and when we called his name, he would say, "Huh? just resting my eyes?" that kind of deeeeep relaxation?

Barbara B. said...

yes, THAT kind of deeeeep relaxation! :)

Terri said...

Sounds like a blast! We have a blues fest in Chicago, but I haven't been in years - I think I just shy away from crowds these days...but I should really re-think that. Glad you went and had a good time!

Diane M. Roth said...

maybe next year we should ALL go to Portland for the blues festival... or, Mompriest, we could meet in Chicago for yours

Barbara B. said...

excellent plan, diane!

Terri said...

Hey, either way...I could attempt a trip out west...or host here...let's talk about a blues fest RevGals meet up! Fun!

Barbara B. said...

That really would be fun!!
"Blues Fest West" has a certain ring to it, so I'd vote for Portland! :)

Diane M. Roth said...

I think we have time to make it work

Terri said...

Ok. Give us the dates for the Portland Blues fest 2008 and we'll work toward organizing a get together! Woohoo!

Rev SS said...

What fun ... I'm in!

Barbara B. said...

Yay! This will be great! I'll have to research exact dates for near year. In the meantime, if anybody wants to take a look, here's the web address:
www.waterfrontbluesfest.com