Saturday, July 14, 2007

ROAD TRIP!!!


Yesterday, Offspring #1 called as she was heading to KOMO-TV in Seattle to help tape a public service announcement for Shakespeare Northwest that would air on the program Northwest Afternoon. She found out that we could be in the studio audience of the show and wondered if I would and/or could join her on short notice. (It was around 11:00 and I needed to be in Seattle--130 miles away--by 2:00.)

My answer? About fifteen minutes later, I was heading up I-5 with my mom (who was also up for an impromptu road trip)! We all knew it might be a little tight to get there (not knowing about traffic, parking, etc.), but we didn't know the trip would take on somewhat "epic" proportions. For starters, there was a huge traffic tie-up near Olympia due to an overturned semi truck which ate up precious time. Then, when we finally got to Seattle I ended up parking SEVERAL blocks too far away from KOMO. (Mapquest failed me a bit!) So we ended up hoofing it (while asking for directions along the way)--aware that we were really playing "beat the clock" at this point. In any event, WE MADE IT at literally the last possible moment! (We got there at 2:20 which is when they close their doors.) Yeeha!

I ended up getting to sit next to Offspring #1 (her group had been seated before the rest of the audience due to their taping of the PSA) which was pure bonus! This particular NW Afternoon featured Dr. Oz (heart surgeon, author, and frequent Oprah guest). It was actually quite informative (you can see a segment here). The picture above catches our response to viewing a sample of an excessive amount of omentum (or 'blubber').

It was fun being in the studio audience -- I had never done that before. And I must say we were a brilliant audience -- always clapping an appropriate amount and right on cue. :) As a reward (heck, we would have gotten them anyway), we all received a free copy of Dr. Oz's latest book, "You on a Diet." (At first glance, it looks pretty good!)

After the show, Offspring #1 headed back up north and we headed back south... during Friday rush hour. But no complaints from me -- it was an awesome road trip!

11 comments:

marie said...

Having lots of my own "omentum" around my midsection (and every other section), might I borrow a freeby book? (Certainly Offspring #1 doesn't need HER copy!)
Glad you had such a good time, even tho' the visual aides were a bit gaggy.

Jan said...

Fun! That sounds spontaneous and fun--glad you went for it. I like seeing the picture of you and your daughter. I also need a copy of that book. . . .

Diane M. Roth said...

that sounds so fun! traffic jam, last minute dash, and everything!

Terri said...

How fun. A spontaneous road trip! Woohoo!

Rev SS said...

Oh yes, being in the studio audience is a hoot (got to visit several tapings while I was living in LA) ... so much energy as everyone follows the cue card holder. Glad you got to have the experience.

Barbara B. said...

Yes, it was great! :) Interestingly, there were no cue cards (I forgot about those!) -- all teleprompter. Technology marches on!

Diane M. Roth said...

all teleprompter! WOW

RevDrKate said...

Oh way cool....a real "view from the road!" It sounds really fun, and how wonderful for your daughter that you could be there.

Lori said...

Sounds like a shorter version of the "Little Miss Sunshine" road trip, with lots fewer people! What an exciting day. Sound like you had a lot of fun.

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

what a cool day that musta been! blubber.... oy. maybe I should skip eating that leftover cold pizza for lunch then.

Barbara B. said...

Yes, it was a Little Miss Sunshine day (minus the clutch trouble!)
:)