Monday, May 4, 2009

anticipating the goody bag


The local newspaper had an article in the Sunday edition entitled: Bike to Work Week gains traction in Cowlitz County. The article details how a small group of local bike commuters organized the campaign to coincide with a national one that happens every May. Our Bike to Work Week will take place next week, and the organizers are hoping to promote exercise, raise awareness of motorists, and show respect for the environment. (Full story here.)

The article encouraged people who want to participate to register on the "Cowlitz on the Move" website. Since I'm bike commuting 2 days a week anyway, I went ahead and registered -- which puts me in line for prizes such as a gift certificate to a sporting goods store. WooHoo!

(As an aside... The people interviewed in the article bike commute between 2 and 4½ miles each way. I googled my route and found I've been doing 5⅓ miles each way, so I felt a little less wussy about only biking to work every other day.)

Another WooHoo is that next Monday from 7:00 to 10:00 a.m. they are handing out free coffee, fruit, and (here's the best part!) Goody Bags at the hospital. As luck would have it, I go right by the hospital on my way to work. I usually roll by there around 7:30 a.m. Even though they usually contain junky stuff, I love Goody Bags (I think because they remind me of trick-or-treating as a kid), so you can bet I'll be stopping by!

Stay tuned next week to find out the contents of my Goody Bag...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
The picture of the "Marble look-alike" riding a bike is from here.
(But I added on the bag!)

7 comments:

dust bunny said...

Dang...no goodie bags for those hearty folk who WALK to work???? (It's only a two-mile round trip, but every little step counts, right?)

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

Will be waiting to hear what treasures you find in the goody bag. AND...very cool to bike to work.

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

awesome! free goodies... and my what incredible calves you must have from biking and hiking! ;)

David B. said...

Very cool! It's nice that they do that.

Rev SS said...

you go, girl!

Processing Counselor said...

I'm very impressed by your commute. And I too love them goody bags!

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I can't wait to hear about your goody bag.