Thursday, May 7, 2009

Friday Five: A Bug's Life

Sophia writes (and I'm shortening this a bit):

As I was walking the beach today, I was surprised and delighted to find it swarming with ladybugs... This got me thinking about spiritual insect trivia: Did you know that medieval mystics and theologians esteemed the bee for its dedicated work and transformation of ordinary ingredients into sweetness? That Spider Woman is an important creator Goddess to many Native American tribes?... In that spirit, this week's Friday Five is a magical mystery tour through God's garden of creepy crawlies!

1. Ladybugs or ladybirds? Pillbugs or roly-polys? Jesus bugs or water skeeters? Any other interesting regional or familial name variations?

We generally call bugs by their genus/species names. Instead of saying, "Look at that dinosaur grasshopper!", we say, "Look at that tropidolophus formosus!"

(OK, that was meant to disguise the fact that I've got nuthin' for this first question!)

2. Stomp on spiders, carry them outside, or peacefully co-exist?

I've done all three, but probably my favorite is burial at sea (i.e. flushing them down the toilet)

3. Favorite insect?

It's got to be Atom Ant, cartoon superhero created by Hanna-Barbera way back when! He was fast, strong, and cute!



4. Least favorite?

Mosquitos!
(To borrow lyrics from Edwin Starr: What are they good for? Absolutely nothin'! Say it again, y'all...)

5. Got any good bug stories to share?

The only thing I can think of was when, as a kid, I was goofy enough to fall for my brother's trick: "Open your mouth and close your eyes and you will get a big surprise". The surprise was a box elder bug!

Bonus question: share a poem, song, quotation, etc. about insects.

Here's The Termite by Ogden Nash:

Some primal termite knocked on wood
And tasted it, and found it good.
And that is why your cousin May
Fell through the parlor floor today.

14 comments:

Jane said...

I love that Ogden Nash poem ... and I so agree about those mosquitoes!

Processing Counselor said...

What a mean brother!

altar ego said...

Och! How could I forget mosquitos? I do think they are the worst of all. Ogden rocks!

Muthah+ said...

tropidolophus formosus?

You're a better woman than I! Gunga Din!

Dr. Laura Marie Grimes said...

Forgot all about Atom Ant! He is cute.

Jan said...

I love the idea of "burial at sea." That's what I often do, too.

MaineCelt said...

I recall reading, in an Alaskan cookbook, that the reason they added blueberries to their sourdough pancakes was to weight them down so the giant Alaskan mosquitoes couldn't carry them off! I believe this "fact" was accompanied by a really disturbing illustration. I still think of it every time I put blueberries in my pancakes!

Barbara B. said...

PC, I think it was more about me being gullible than he being mean! :)

MaineCelt, that is an interesting mental image! :)

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

What Jane said. What good are they? I have yet to think of anything. LOL at Ogden Nash.

Pastor Joelle said...

Ogden Nash really is the poet to go to when contemplating bugs...

RevAnne said...

Mosquitos must be good for something, but I'm with you: I've got no clue what!
Great play!

zorra said...

Atom Ant! "MY POWER SOURCE!" (Or was that Fearless Fly?)
"Burial at sea"--too funny. That's what I do with roaches and silverfish!

revkjarla said...

oh--I forgot about box elder bugs. they have an orange stripe on them, right?

you totally fooled me at one. I was like, no way, she knows all those scientific names--wait, do you?

Barbara B. said...

zorra, I had forgotten all about Fearless Fly! Atom Ant was cooler though. :)

revkjarla, Yep, orange stripe! And I had to look up the genus/species name. ;)