Mary Beth is thinking about vacations, and she presents this week's Friday Five:
1) What did your family do for vacations when you were a child? Or did you have stay-cations at home?
My family owned the drug store in a small town in North Dakota, and we always got away for a vacation in the summer. I remember going to NYC, Disneyland, Colorado, Canada, etc. This picture of my family was taken at the "La Ronde" revolving restaurant in Hawaii sometime during the 60's.
2) Tell us about your favorite vacation ever.
Hmm... I'd say just about any vacation I've ever taken with Offsprings #1&2! They are really fun travel partners. But if I had to pick one, I'd say the trip with them to Europe in 2000:
3) What do you do for a one-day or afternoon getaway...is there a place nearby that you escape to on a Saturday afternoon/other day off?
The town in which I currently live isn't all that snazzy, but it's got a great geographical location. For a one day getaway, we can head to Cannon Beach on the Oregon coast, Multnomah Falls, Mt St Helens, or just bop around in Portland.
4) What's your best recommendation for a full-on vacation near you...what would you suggest to someone coming to your area? (Near - may be defined any way you wish!)
You can't go wrong with Cannon Beach.
5) What's your DREAM VACATION?
I think the longest vacation I've ever taken was 3 weeks (and they are usually more like a week or two)... so I guess my dream vacation would be one that would last a solid month. It would involve a really, really nice hotel or vacation villa (which would allow pets so we could bring along Mr. Tumnus). The vacation spot could be almost anywhere as long as it was scenic and had fun things to do in the area.
Bonus: Any particularly awful vacation stories that you just have to tell? ("We'll laugh about this later..." maybe that time is now!)
Well, it's later and I'm still not laughing about this one: My family (hubby, kids, mom, and me) went to Cancun the summer of 2004, and my mom had a stroke there. We had a difficult, stressful time trying to get back to the U.S. for proper medical care. (It thankfully turned out to be a mild stroke.)
googled the CB photo